Australian Work Visa - FAQs
Is the 457 work visa still in effect?
The 457 visa was made redundant as of the 18th March 2018?
What happens if I am the holder of a 457 visa? Can I apply for another work visa?
Anyone with a 457 visa can still continue to work in Australia until the expiry date of their 457 visa.
If your occupation is still on the immigration occupation list, you can apply for a new work visa which is the TSS visa – Subclass 482.
How long will my new visa be valid for?
Depending on your occupation, you may be eligible for a 2 year work visa (if your occupation is on the short term skilled occupation list) or you may be eligible for a 4 year visa (if your occupation is on the medium and long term strategic skills list).
Does the visa have any work experience requirements?
Yes you will need to provide evidence that you have worked in the nominated occupation, or a related field, for at least two years.
Can I work part time on the Subclass 482 visa?
The 482 visa is a full time visa and therefore requires the applicant to work on a full time basis.
Does the 482 visa have an age requirement?
No there are no age requirements for the Subclass 482 visa.
Are there age requirements that apply when applying for permanent residency?
Yes if you are applying for an Employer nomination or a Skilled visa application, the age limit at time of application is under 45 years of age.
Are there age exemptions that apply?
Yes the following age exemptions will apply for medical practitioners
- you are applying through the Temporary Residence Transition stream and have been working for your nominating employer as the holder of a TSS or subclass 457 visa for the last three years and your earnings were at least equivalent to the Fair Work High Income Threshold for each year over that period
- you are a medical practitioner and you meet all of the below:
- you have been working in your nominated occupation as the holder of a TSS or subclass 457 visa for at least three years immediately before applying
- for two of those years, you were employed in regional Australia
- the nominated position is located in regional Australia
Where can I find more information?
You can find relatable visa information at the following link (The department of Home affairs)