New Zealands largest public, teaching hospital and clinical research facility is looking for a collaborative Clinical Director to envision and implement a new direction for the Adult Emergency Department.
- Join a large, supportive team focussed on providing the highest standard of care.
- Utilise your high level clinical and leadership experience to impact the direction of one of Aucklands' major trauma centres.
- Enjoy working in New Zealand's most popular and diverse city, full of culture and natural beauty.
Are you a natural and motivated leader? We are seeking a passionate and committed Doctor who is looking for an opportunity to lead a department that values each team member’s unique skills and experiences. A collaborative individual with a proven leadership style who is excited by creating and implementing a vision for our Adult Emergency Department
About the Hospital
As New Zealand’s largest public and teaching hospital, as well as the countries’ largest clinical research facility, Auckland City Hospital is one of two major trauma centres serving the Auckland region and has all major specialties available on site except for Maxillofacial and Plastic Surgery. ACH is the tertiary provider of neurosurgery, the regional and national organ transplant service, cardiac lung and vascular surgical services as well as all the other specialty services of a large tertiary hospital.
Auckland DHB is committed to achieving health equity for all those in our community with Equity an over-arching priority in our performance framework.
About the Emergency Department
The Emergency Department has a high patient index of disease severity and treats approximately 76,000 adult patient presentations annually.
Our Adult Emergency Department (AED) is:
• Accredited for advanced training by the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine. It is the only Department in New Zealand accredited by the College to provide pre-hospital emergency medicine training.
• Affiliated with the University of Auckland, Schools of Medicine and Health Science.
• Actively involved in clinical and university-based teaching (including the ACME course, ACLS, Ultrasound, ED thoracotomy and difficult airway courses)
• Responsible (in conjunction with the Auckland Rescue Helicopter trust) for providing the Helicopter Emergency Medical Service
• Currently involved in a number of key national and international research projects.
• The AED is a 70+ bed facility, which includes 4 resuscitation areas, and 30 acute bed spaces as well as an 11 bedded ED short stay unit,.
• 24-hour access to radiology services, laboratory and blood bank facilities.
• Additional Resuscitation and negative pressure rooms are planned as well as the development of a Behavioural Assessment Area to be developed in 2022.
• A 54 bedded inpatient short stay unit Clinical Decision Unit adjacent to the AED.
o This unit is a key clinical driver to relieve pressure on the Emergency Department and enhance the flow of patients as they are admitted to the inpatient services.
Service Clinical Director Emergency Department, Adult Medicine
Location: Auckland City Hospital, Grafton, Auckland
This person will be able to effectively articulate and share their vision with the team, taking everyone along the journey with them. The values of the incumbent should ideally be aligned with Auckland DHB’s values of: Welcome, Respect, Together and Aim High.
The Service Clinical Director is accountable for the direction of the whole service and all staff including medical, nursing and non-clinical. This accountability includes clinical quality and safety, operational efficiency, staff supervision and wellbeing, and financial performance.
The Service Clinical Director is expected to be an active clinician with the approximate time commitment being 0. Leadership, 0.4 clinical and 0.2 non-clinical (including personal continuing medical education).
About the Person
Essential personal specifications:
• Demonstrated leadership skills, experience in senior roles essential.
• High calibre clinical expertise
• Senior Doctor, experienced Senior Medical Officer with Emergency Department Experience
• Familiarity with working in Tertiary Hospitals, with Academic experience
• A demonstrated commitment to quality, safety and clinical governance
• Excellent communication skills and collaborative ability
• A commitment to ADHB strategic values
If you have any questions regarding the role, please contact Stephane on +61 491 710 284